Know before you go!
Information which you need to obtain from your pharmacist: -
· What is the name of my medication?
· What is this medication used for?
· How do I take it?
· Is it likely to interact with other medicines that I am taking?
· Are there side effects that I should look for?
· Are there special instructions to follow when taking this medication? (e.g. take with meals, do not use alcohol, may cause drowsiness)
· Are there special storing conditions? (e.g. keep in the refrigerator)
· When does this medication expire?
When visiting the doctor you tend not to know how to describe your symptoms, here are some hints which you should observe:
· ONSET when did the symptoms start
· DURATION how long have you had the symptoms?
do they come & go?
· SEVERITY how bad are the symptoms?
· DESCRIPTION describe the symptoms
Acute or Chronic
· PREVIOUS TREATMENT
Other related information which your doctor will need
· SEX, if female whether pregnant or lactating
· OTHER ILLNESSES
· MEDICATION TAKING
When to seek medical attention:
· A fever of over 100 F in children
· A fever of more than 3 days duration
· Symptoms do not respond to self medication after 3 days
· Vomiting and diarrhea with increased temperature.